Thursday, September 5, 2013

ON THE JOB

(Reaction in lieu of Review)

                Honestly, I was planning to watch Erik Matti’s latest film, On The Job the first day of showing. But because plans have a way of changing as days come, other plans overlapped and so I was not able to see the film.  Nevertheless I kept hearing about it that I had to see it for myself. 
                Before I went inside the movie house, I promised myself that I will try to write my own (amateur) review of this much talked about film.  Almost 3 hours after seeing the movie, I still don’t know how to make a review so instead, I’ll just write my reaction.
BILATIBAY YA!
                Forgive the expletives, but those are the exact same words I exclaimed as soon as the cinema darkened and the credits rolled. 
                The movie is dark, gory & bloody but damn did it shout of truth and rawness and pain.  The dialogues were natural and carried underlying tension in the words chosen that hearing the prevalence   of even swear words painted the scenes with nuances that worked with the dirt of the settings and the dirt of what was happening on screen.  The director, part of the tandem who wrote the film managed to squeeze the innards of society (both from those seating in political seats and from those seating in the bowels of poverty) for fodder to fuel this reflection of what could very well be plain truth.
                I have never enjoyed a Filipino film for its story, depth and unpredictability more than this one. From the first 5 minutes where I swore to the scattering of brains I stayed at the edge of my seat never really knowing what to expect next.  To think that it’s an action film only adds up to its beauty having enjoyed none of action films ever; Hollywood made or not.  The actors were perfectly cast that I did not recognize the Gerald Anderson, the Piolo Pascual, the Joel Torre but instead was taken for a ride with the characters that propelled me from jaw dropping scene to the next “Putangina!”
                To say that this is a good film is an understatement, to claim that it has a lesson that subtly gives emphasis to choices, family, ambition and helplessness is expected.  What I can say though is that, this feels like a new birth for the types of films we will get to see from Filipino film makers.  I would certainly wait for the next “Directed by Erik Matti” or for the next film that will convincingly present mainstream actors in the next off beat but laudable role.
                On the Job is currently my gauge for a 5 star out of 5 movie!
BILATIBAY YA!  

No comments:

Post a Comment